Re: mutt/2164: unrelevant 'bad IDN' error message

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2164; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: psv@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2164: unrelevant 'bad IDN' error message
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:26:45 +0100 (CET)

 Hello, and thank you for reporting this.

  On Sunday, January 15, 2006 at 18:30:54 +0100, psv@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

 > I can't send any message, because I get '<mail_addr> is a bad IDN'
 > error message. This error message doesn't seem relevant.

     Yes, we know that an invalid $charset gives such highly appropriate
 error. Unfortunately it seems difficult to give better message, without
 moving the knoweledge of what is valid or invalid from iconv to Mutt
 itself. And this is probably not good. Any suggestion anyone?

     But let's also review your settings:

 > I receive mails with several encondings: us-ascii, utf-8, koi8-r,
 > cp1251. If I don't set charset in muttrc file, then I can't read
 > koi8-r messages (I got bad encoding)

     It should work. Your terminal has a KOI8-R charset, right? What
 give "locale" and "locale charset" commands at shell?

 > I place 'set charset ="utf-8:us-ascii:koi8-r:windows-1251"' into
 > muttrc

     Nonsense: $charset doesn't take such values.

 Bye!   Alain.