Question re parse_set(), Charset & mutt_set_charset()

I don't know if this is a bug or my lack of understanding.  If there's a
reason for it, I'm happy to write a patch ;^) with an appropriate
comment to go in the code to explain what appears to be strange.

init.c:parse_set() line 1827 area:

        else if (DTYPE (MuttVars[idx].type) == DT_STR)
        {
          *((char **) MuttVars[idx].data) = safe_strdup (tmp->data);
          if (mutt_strcmp (MuttVars[idx].option, "charset") == 0)
            mutt_set_charset (Charset);
        }

Why is it telling mutt_set_charset() to set the charset stuff to the
Charset global instead of MuttVars[idx].data ?

Thanks,
--
I am keeping international relations on a peaceable footing.
You are biding your time before acting.