Re: Attachment altered because of 7 bit (none) encoding.

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:57:00 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2005-12-05 12:15:34 -0600, Bo Peng wrote:
> > There are! I guess this sendmail's behavior, not related to any clients.
> If you don't use SMTP, sendmail should not be used.

You're kidding, right?

mutt uses the (command line tool) sendmail as default, and rightly
leaves it up to sendmail to decide what the best method of transport
is.

If Bo wants to send a mail to himself, and sendmail happens to decide
that "local transport" (i.e. appending the mail to Bo's inbox, or
perhaps through e.g. procmail as a "local" rule) is the best method,
then be it so, even if it does not involve the protocol SMTP.

So even if you want "local", "esmtp", or even "uucp" instead of "smtp",
leave it up to sendmail to do the right thing. But keep on using
sendmail until someone proves it does not do its job correctly (which
may be the case here, but is yet to be investigated, right?).

> What's your config? Mutt normally uses the sendmail command to send
> mail, and sendmail uses SMTP.

Sendmail uses SMTP, ESMTP, "local", UUCP, and probably others I can't
think of right now.

Just to get the wording clear,
Moritz