Re: Attachment altered because of 7 bit (none) encoding.

> If you store the mail directly to /var/mail/myusername, then you're
> not using SMTP, and there won't be double dots.

There are! I guess this sendmail's behavior, not related to any clients.

> On the contrary, if you're using SMTP, then there's a SMTP client and a SMTP
> server;

I guess this is not uncommon. My emails are on a server, which can be
accessed locally via /var/mail/myusername or remotely through pop, or
smtp.

> the SMTP client will double the dot and the SMTP server will do the
> opposite transformation.

I get the same altered attachment when I use mutt locally, and MS/OE
through SMTP.

>    -  Before sending a line of mail text, the SMTP client checks the
>       first character of the line.  If it is a period, one additional
>       period is inserted at the beginning of the line.

I was sending my emails using mutt locally on the server, not SMTP.

>    -  When a line of mail text is received by the SMTP server, it checks
>       the line.  If the line is composed of a single period, it is
>       treated as the end of mail indicator.  If the first character is a
>       period and there are other characters on the line, the first
>       character is deleted.

I am confused. The way I send (to my myself) the email involves only
sendmail, the SMTP server did not *receive* the email, only *respond*
to SMTP client. So it does not get a chance to remove the dots, am I
right?

> Mutt is not a SMTP server, just a mail user agent.

So mutt should get whatever in /var/mail/myusername.

Bo