Re: Attachment altered because of 7 bit (none) encoding.

On 2005-12-05 12:15:34 -0600, Bo Peng wrote:
> > If you store the mail directly to /var/mail/myusername, then you're
> > not using SMTP, and there won't be double dots.
>
> There are! I guess this sendmail's behavior, not related to any clients.

If you don't use SMTP, sendmail should not be used.

> > On the contrary, if you're using SMTP, then there's a SMTP client
> > and a SMTP server;
>
> I guess this is not uncommon. My emails are on a server, which can be
> accessed locally via /var/mail/myusername or remotely through pop, or
> smtp.

Don't mix up reading mail and sending mail. SMTP is used to send mail,
not to read mail with a MUA.

> I was sending my emails using mutt locally on the server, not SMTP.

What's your config? Mutt normally uses the sendmail command to send
mail, and sendmail uses SMTP. If you do not do that, the problem may
come from your config, and then don't complain if things don't work
as you expect.

> I am confused. The way I send (to my myself) the email involves only
> sendmail, the SMTP server did not *receive* the email, only *respond*
> to SMTP client.

If the SMTP server responds to the SMTP client, this means that it
receives the e-mail (or directly reject it, but in this case, you'll
never see the e-mail on the server).

> So it does not get a chance to remove the dots, am I right?

I still don't understand what you're doing. Please give the maximum
information about your config. In particular, the $sendmail variable
shouldn't be modified in general. The default value is

  "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi"

You don't use any patch related to SMTP, do you?