Re: UI stuff (was Re: How to display format=flowed?)

On 2005-10-15 15:30:40 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:20:07PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > One can continue to see it if the editor uses an external window.
> > But one can't do anything in it.
>
> Right, but that's the problem...  It's not terribly useful to see it
> if you can't do anything with it. ;-)

Well, I sometimes use this feature. For instance, one can still copy
some parts of the index to report bugs on thread display. I can also
have useful information on the thread when sending a reply. However
most people probably don't use this feature because it is very
limited. Of course, I'd like to be able to do more with Mutt...

> Plus, don't forget that many users (like me) use mutt in large part
> because it's excellent for reading mail remotely over slow,
> character-only ssh session.

This is also my case (in fact, most of the time).

> Using an external editor would usually require forwarding an X
> connection, which I find annoyingly slow even over broadband
> connections...

Emacs can run in a terminal, and one can probably write a wrapper to
run it in a different window in "screen". I've already a wrapper to
make it appear on the right display (which could also be the terminal)
when using Mutt in "screen".

> > BTW, would it need much change to make them appear in different
> > windows?
>
> I guess it depends what you mean.  You already can run multiple copies
> of mutt in different windows, so you can more-or-less get what I'm
> talking about by running 3 copies of mutt in 3 different windows.

I mean a single copy of Mutt, with the mini-index is a window (it
would no longer be "mini" then) and the pager in another. I say
that because all the logics have already been written; only the
output part would change. This would still be limited and not
optimal, but this could be a first step before considering more
features (or a full rewrite).