Re: UI stuff (was Re: How to display format=flowed?)

On 2005-10-12 14:13:40 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> I suppose this point (the format=flowed issue) is one such way, though
> it is a relatively minor problem.  The biggest drawback to Mutt's UI,
> IMO, is the inability to continue to see the message index while
> composing a message.

One can continue to see it if the editor uses an external window.
But one can't do anything in it. Worse, if one types characters
in Mutt's window, they are taken into account once the editor is
closed (isn't this a bug?).

> I guess I think that mutt ought to have the ability to run in two or
> three different windows simultaneously (folder view, index view,
> message view).

It does almost that with pager index lines (one window, but two panes).
BTW, would it need much change to make them appear in different windows?

> Each of these views could independently be enabled or disabled,
> allowing people to continue to use Mutt just as it is now. This sort
> of UI would allow a user to use an xterm of say 100 columns, using
> all of those 100 columns for the index, while splitting the bottom
> into 2 panes where the message is displayed in 80 columns, and the
> folders and message counts are displayed in the remaining 20
> characters (all of this configurable, of course).

Pager index columns. :)