Re: How to display format=flowed?

On 2005-10-13 | 19:24:37, Holger Weiss wrote:
In any case, longer lines will increase horizontal eye movement much
more than vertical eye movement.  You seem to state that readability is
affected by vertical eye movement only, which is wrong.

We almost always have horizontal eye movement when reading, continous eye movement is not a bad thing, loosing the row when jumping to the next line is, but more for books and newspapers that are not exactly held horizontally, that is one of the points why they use *multiple* columns.

I don't get it.  Are you stating that hyphenation would be needed for 80
character lines?

No, but it would certainly make then look nicer, as well as dynamic spacing / justification. But most important: You will not find any book or newspaper that let's >50% of it's paper width go to waste.

and more than one column.
Yes, in order to get shorter lines.  Again, I don't get how this
strengthens your point, sorry.

Because mutt uses only a single column and it is very doubtfull that there ever will be a useable multi-column implementation for scrolling text / terminals.

Imagine a paper that uses only one column and leaves ~70% of the page
empty. That is what mutt does with the terminal!

Only if your terminal is ~260(!) characters wide.  Why would you want to
have such a wide terminal for Mutt?

I have been dramatizing, newspapers often use 4 or more columns which means that a single column would put 75% of the paper to waste. I am using a 156 character terminal which means that mutt 'only' wastes about 50% of my screen.

Tom

--
Datentransferlimits und die Breitbandlüge
http://www.hostmaster.org/TransferLimits.html