Re: How to display format=flowed (and other topics)?

On 2005-10-13 14:51:57 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:

>> Readability is actually something that you can measure
>> empirically. Take the challenge from my earlier document, do
>> the experiment, and time reading the same amount of text in
>> different formattings.

> So, you're saying that the line length which is most readable is
> identical for every single human being on the planet Earth?  I
> don't think that's even possible.  I also think it's not even
> really all that relevant.

That style of argument is usually called a "strawman."

I'm not talking about the *optimal* line width for *every* single
human being: I'm saying that short lines are much more readable than
long lines (because of horizontal eye movement), and that 60-80
characters is generally a good line length to use.

(Guess why every single participant in this thread uses that kind of
line length.)

I object (and strongly) against claims that mutt's format=flowed
handler is "broken", or that not re-flowing lines on wide screens is
a "bug" when the actual code is (a) perfectly usable, and (b) the
objection is really that we don't give enough rope to people to hang
themselves.

> It doesn't matter what the reasons are; the fact is that some
> users want this functionality, and it's easy enough to provide
> without harming anyone.  So what's the hangup?

Give me a clean patch that implements this feature, and lets me keep
mutt's current behavior in the default configuration, and I might
include it, given the fact that there's apparently quite a bit of
demand for that.

But please don't expect me to implement that, and also don't expect
me to acknowledge this as a "bug."

PS: A good way to configure such a patch would probably be an option
that controls whether mutt will only flow overly long lines (much
like fmt -s) -- exploiting the fact that format=flowed messages
normally use less than 72 (or so) columns when rendered as
"classical" plain text.

--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.