Re: How to display format=flowed (and other topics)?

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:32:27PM +0200, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On 2005-10-12 | 10:11:11, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> >By re-flowing, you mean "extend the line width to 140 characters"?
>
> To whatever width the terminal can display.

There seems to be a lot of objection to this idea.  With regard to my
own preferences, I am quite happy with line lengths of ~80 characters.
The reason has less to do with reading, and more to do with editing
text of quoted messages.  I like vi(m), and using a line editor is
more efficent with shorter lines.  80 columns seems like a nice
compromise.

That said, consider the following:

  1. Many people use Outlook and other GUI mailers
  2. Most such GUI mailers behave the way Thomas Z. is describing as
     regards flowed format messages.
  3. Many people like this behavior.

> >No, mutt doesn't do that.  And no, it's not a bug.  If mutt-ng does
> >it, it's a good reason not to use mutt-ng.
>
> Reflowing to the width of the terminal or GUI windows is, what
> format=flowed is all about. Not doing it is certainly a bug.

I would have to agree.  I would never use this personally, but it
rather does seem to be the point.  If everyone wanted to read lines at
n < 80 columns, we would not have any need for this method of
formatting at all!  There is other precedence for this as well; this
is the way web browsers behave.  No one seems to complain about
that...

> >Currently, the format=flowed handler will try hard not to output
> >lines over 77 characters long.  I regularly use mutt in xterms well
> >over 80 columns wide, because that's useful for the index.  But I
> >would object to a change to mutt that would reformat any
> >format=flowed message to the full width of that window just because
> >we can.
>
> Then this should be made configurable as almost everything else in mutt

Certainly, mutt could have a variable such as flowed_text_max_width to
solve this.  If 0, mutt uses the whole width of the window.  It could
also do that if set to a value greater than the width of the current
terminal.  Then, everyone gets what they want.

-=-=-=-=-