Re: mutt/2110: decode-copy decode-save create empty parts / messages in case of decoding errors

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:15:02AM +0200, TAKAHASHI Tamotsu wrote:
>  > Nontheless a message with an empty body is copied/saved.
>
>  True.
>  While decode-copying, mutt tries to decrypt the message *after*
>  copying the header. So, only the header is left even if aborted.
>  Hmmm...

It strikes me that the "right" behavior is for mutt to attempt the
decode first, writing the results to a temporary file.  If and only if
this succeeds, mutt should begin to write the new message,
concatenating the first temporary file with the rest of the message as
appropriate.

In cases where there are multiple encrypted parts (unusual but
possible), I think the right thing to do is attempt to decrypt all of
the encrypted parts first, and ask the user how to proceed if any of
them fails.  It may be that some parts were not encrypted with the
user's key while other parts were...  They may want to save the parts
that they can read, and they should be given that option.  When a
failure occurs, Mutt can present the user with the option to abort
entirely, save decoded parts with undecoded parts preserved, or save
decoded parts with undecoded parts removed.  In fact, I guess that
would also work in the case of only one encrypted part; let the user
decide what to do.

-=-=-=-=-