Re: [1.5.10] bus error when invocation of pgp fails

* Sat Aug 20 2005 Paul Walker <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 12:04:52AM +0900, TAKAHASHI Tamotsu wrote:

> > Or, output "Could not copy message" after 1 or 2 seconds of showing
> > "Could not decrypt PGP message" error? I prefer the latter.
>
> "Could not copy message" shouldn't be displayed at all, IMO.
>
> Overall, the 1.5.9 behaviour seemed much more better to me - it displayed
> the actual error from the encryption program, so you knew whether it was to
> the wrong key, bad passphrase, or some other error. Now all you get is "I
> can't do it". Useless. Whichever patch caused this should be reverted.

Okay. Reading my wrongpasswd.2 patch, I found a few more problems
in 1.5.10. Commiters, please read it and fix the CVS code!

For example, 1.5.10's wrapper handlers in cryptglue.c returns -1 if
no handler is available. But functions should return -1 only when
they "Could not copy message" (e.g. failed to open a tmpfile).

Moreover, handlers' return-values have to be OR'd
(i.e. "rv |= handler()" instead of "rv = handler()")
for multipart.

I had a meaningful error-message in commands.c.
And pager.c had some trick, too.
So, the wrongpasswd.2 is still helpful.
I wonder why such already-fixed-on-eight-months-ago problems are
in 1.5.10, while assumed_charset and iconv-hook patches are not in.    ;-p

> > Brendan seems most likely the person in charge of these changes.
>
> Possibly, but Brendan's off for a while yet, IIRC.

Yes, but Thomas has been too busy for a long time as well. :)

--
tamo