Re: Docbook patch

On 2005-08-11 09:25:54 -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 August 2005 at 03:10, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > >
> > > um, feature? Do you really want a TOC entry for each of the hundreds
> > > of configuration variables?
> >
> > Yes, this is useful when searching for variable names.
>
> I guess that could be put to a vote. I'm not in favour - maybe what
> you want is an index.

However the advantage of the TOC is that it is at the beginning,
so that a search will match the titles first.

> > Otherwise, aren't there XSLT stylesheets to convert DocBook to
> > plain text directly?
>
> I don't know, are there?

I don't think so. There has been a discussion "DocBook to
plain text - what do you use?" here:

  http://www.xslt.com/html/xsl-list/2004-07/msg00796.html

Someone has written a two-pass converter: one pass using XSLT to
convert DocBook into a text-markup language (something analogous
to XSL-FO, but designed for text/plain targets), and a second
pass to convert this language into text/plain using Java and SAX:

  http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/x-xmlist1/

I would probably have chosen Perl + XML::LibXML for the second
pass (I don't think Text::Wrap can be used if there are bold or
underlined characters, and one pass would probably be easier in
this case).