Re: Docbook patch

On Thursday, 11 August 2005 at 03:10, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2005-08-10 15:36:16 -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 09 August 2005 at 22:27, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > > * The Table of Contents is on 2 levels only.
> >
> > um, feature? Do you really want a TOC entry for each of the hundreds
> > of configuration variables?
>
> Yes, this is useful when searching for variable names.

I guess that could be put to a vote. I'm not in favour - maybe what
you want is an index.

> > > * Layout in Section 2.3.1.1 (Status Flags) is suboptimal:

> > >     message is deleted (is marked for deletion)
> >
> > This seems to be pretty standard layout for definition lists, but I
> > don't really love it either. There's an xsl option to use tables
> > instead of definition lists for these entries, and it works great with
> > w3m, but lynx predictably makes a mess.
>
> In the html-to-text conversion, CSS would be the solution, but
> unfortunately neither lynx nor w3m support them.
>
> Perhaps html2text[*] from Martin Bayer, with a good html2textrc file?
>
> * http://www.mbayer.de/html2text/

It supports less HTML than w3m, lynx, and links. It doesn't do a very
good job with the manual produced by the docbook xsl I'm using. links,
btw, doesn't produce output as good as w3m's, and doesn't do
bold/underline anyway.

> Otherwise, aren't there XSLT stylesheets to convert DocBook to
> plain text directly?

I don't know, are there?