Re: mutt/2019: menu_context itches (Re: your mail)

On Wednesday, 10 August 2005 at 16:59, Alain Bench wrote:
>  On Tuesday, August 9, 2005 at 10:31:02 PM -0700, Brendan Cully wrote:
>
>     [patch-1.5.9.tamo.menu_onlybug.1]
> > with $menu_context="0", $menu_move_off="no" (the mutt I grew up with).
>
>     I assume you mean $menu_move_off="yes", the unique behaviour of
> historic Mutt until 1.5.7 included.

quite right, sorry about that.

> > <first-entry><last-entry> no longer produces the same screen as
> > <first-entry><next-page><next-page>... until the last page.
>
>     Same screen with $menu_move_off="no": A screenfull of entries.
>
>     Different screens with $menu_move_off="yes" or legacy Mutt:
> <last-entry> produces a screenfull of entries, while <next-page>s
> produce a random partial end screen.
>
>     I believe that when one does a <last-entry>, one expects a full
> screen. Or maybe a partial screen, with a configurable amount of empty
> lines below indicator (margin). Nobody expects to obtain a totally
> random number of entries (between 1 and hight), like one can have with
> PageDowns.

In fact I do :)

More precisely, I expect the same screen that greeted me when I first
opened the mailbox. I found the legacy behaviour very intuitive, as
strange as it may sound to you. And I'd really like the default set of
options to keep things exactly the way they were back in the 1.5.7
days.

What Tamo's patch produce for me was a screen with only one entry at
the very top. To me that's pessimal. A full screen I could probably
live with, although I prefer the symmetry of the old behaviour.

> > I'd like it to.
>
>     Yet another option? Or a macro doing <last-entry><current-middle> or
> <last-entry><current-top> can suffice?

Certainly not another option.