Re: For 1.5.9: menu_move_off (was: Change in behavior <current-middle>)

 On Monday, March 28, 2005 at 10:53:30 PM +0900, Tamotsu Takahashi wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, Alain Bench wrote:
>> 4-37 cursor on 30, then <previous-page>: You should see 1-34 cursor
>> on 1. But you see 1-34 cursor on 27
> Fixed in v3

    Yes, but not completely: 4-37 cursor on *27*, then <previous-page>:
You see 1-34 cursor on 27.

>> "fixed altitude" still works, but not always.
> let me know if v3 has this bug.

    Unfortunately yes, worse. Cursor seems to sometimes behave as "fixed
altitude", and sometimes as "pushed by boundaries" (?!?) where it is
placed at nearest possible of previous position (always at $menu_context
from top when paging down, from bottom when paging up). Both behaviours
have their own internal coherence, but we have to choose one only (No
no: I won't shout "Yet Another Variable!"). The mix is illogical. I like
equally both: Fixed was new and interesting, but pushed surely more
consistent with legacy behaviour. And with reversed behaviour: When you
cursor jump (say to next new) the boundaries are pushed.

    There is also a bug comeback. 34-67 cursor on 50, then <half-up>:
You should see 18-51. But you see 7-40. This is initial cursor position
dependant: if it was on 51, you end seeing 8-41.

> V3 has $menu_jump_context.

    Great! Let's talk naming: It's not all jumps, but only page jumps.
The *exact* same feature in pager is called $pager_context. Proposal:
For consistency $menu_jump_context gets renamed $menu_context, and old
$menu_context (though already released in 1.5.8 and .9) is renamed
hum... Menu, cursor, indicator, context, margin: $menu_indicator_margin.
Christoph?

> +  { "menu_jump_context",     DT_NUM,  R_NONE, UL &MenuJumpContext, 0 },
> +  ** In menus, the next-page and prev-page functions usually jumps exactly
> +  ** how many menu items your screen shows. $$$menu_jump_context decreases
> the
> +  ** length of jumps. When this is set to 1, the last entry will be the first
> +  ** entry of the next page.

    Help!! Help!! English mother tongue manual rewritter needed! ;-)

| This variable controls the number of lines of context that are given
| when displaying the next or previous page in menus (index, browser,
| alias selector, ...). By default, Mutt will display the line after the
| last one on the screen at the top of the next page (0 lines of
| context). Identical to ````$pager_context'''' for the internal pager.

    Hoping nobody will notice I'm a lazy copy/paster... :-)

Bye, and again much thanks Tamo-san!    Alain.
--
Give your computer's unused idle processor cycles to a scientific goal:
The Folding@home project at <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.