Re: For 1.5.9: menu_move_off (was: Change in behavior <current-middle>)

Hi Tamo-san!

 On Friday, March 18, 2005 at 8:04:18 PM +0900, Tamotsu Takahashi wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Alain Bench wrote:
>> <first-entry>, then <next-page><previous-page> fails.
> That's because Mutt is unable to show you items with less-than-zero
> numbers.

    Thanks for the patch! There is a glitch: When in threaded index,
subjects of replies randomly appear and disappear while you scroll past
top. And I'm not sure if allowing top unstuck menus is usefull.

    Sorry, I was too short. What I meant, written one year ago when
$menu_context was named $index_context and not yet included in Mutt,
was:

| There is an annoying interaction with page jumps near top of index:
| Like with $[menu]_context=7 and $menu_scroll=yes do a <first-entry>
| then <next-page><previous-page> in index: You should see top page
| again, say lines #1 to #34. But you see lines #8 to #41.
|

| More generally, I wonder if it would be possible or interesting to
| have $[menu]_context act on scrolls (line by line), but still have
| full page jumps, perhaps with 0 or 1 line of context. Or *another*
| variable to set lines of context in page jump case. The indicator
| would still be placed $[menu]_context lines from bottom of next page,
| but the said page would be fully new.
|
| I'm not sure, but seem to have understood that's this very effect on
| page jumps that caused not inclusion in Mutt... Source: Discussion by
| Michael Elkins on mutt-dev, msgid <20020329183608.GA3064@xxxxxxxxxxx>.

> Mutt currently allows you to show more-than-max as empty lines when
> $menu_move_off is set. So it is natural to show less-than-zero as
> empty lines.

    Bottom move_off seems to me both natural and usable, and move_off=no
also, so it's a wanted user option. But top move_off... Well I'll
continue experimenting it longer, but so far I'm not convinced of its
interest. And if there is interest, one should probably have a sticky
top unsticky bottom choice.

Thanks again, bye!      Alain.