Re: What should go into 1.5.7?

Hello,

> The inclusion of the header-cache has worked wonderfully. Thank you
> much.

because I received a lot of feedback from users. And had a lot of
support when debugging stuff.

> Perhaps I am missing something obvious (it happens all the time), but
> has anyone ever mentioned the possiblity of including server-side
> sorting and threading? Or is this unnecessary because the headers are
> already cached?

Long time ago I profilled mutt when opening a big mailbox. Most of the
time was spent retrieving the message (header). 25 % were used for
parsing the headers and or the message (in string operations). And I
think less than 5 % of the time was spend sorting them.  That was on a
SunFire 280R running Solaris 9. Most systems are much faster today. I
tested it on opening a 27T message folder with 47 Mbytes.

header cache takes retrival of the message(headers) and parsing them
away from mutt to speedup initial opening.

> And what about the ability to search multiple folders?

For maildir/mbox folders I use mairix.

        Thomas