Re: Mutt Next Generation

On 2005-01-27 15:53:13 -0500, John Franklin wrote:

>> simple tool.  Unix systems have one well defined security
>> boundary: the process; glueing everything into libraries
>> circumvents this.

> What do you secure by calling a separate binary to deliver the
> mail?  What's being protected?  Do you think libesmtp is going to
> pollute mutt's data space in some way that ssmtp would prevent?

Simple: That way, you get the same functionality without additional
code in mutt.  Less code is better.

> I would argue that libraries are as good a module as programs.
> Programs have the advantage of using a shell and pipe to string
> together multiple tools to achieve a result.  Here, a shared
> library is quite sufficient.

There's an established interface for connecting MTAs to MUAs.
/usr/{sbin,lib}/sendmail.  We implement that.

You are asking for another interface to be added, instead of
re-using the established interface.

(I've been an SMTP AUTH user for years, first with postfix, now with
exim on my client. The latter because I have to send different kinds
of mails through different servers because of SPF.)

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.