Re: What should go into 1.5.7?

On 2005-01-26 11:59:59 -0600, David Champion wrote:

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.attachprompt.1
>       $edit_headers allows editing an Attach: header which can be
>       set to a filename. Setting Attach: to "yes" triggers a prompt.

So you can't attach the file "yes"?  This patch uses unclean in-band
signalling.  I'd rather not include it.

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.deepif.1
>       Allows nested conditionals. Ugly, but doesn't diverge from
>       existing syntax.

Documentation?

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.flagsafe.1
>       If $flag_safe is set, flagged messages cannot be deleted. (This
>       protects flagged messages from bulk operations, in particular.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this one mean you're going to
lose "trash" information in maildirs?

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.fmtpipe.1
>       DT_STR variables can be specified as pipes, with syntactic
>       advantages over backticking, deferred execution, and
>       consistency with DT_PATH.

This one has the potential to break quite a few things...  If we
want the deferred execution, we should rather think about having a
configuration file syntax like double backticks or something.

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.groupalts.1
>       Group attachments as multipart alternatives; reorder attachments
>       in compose menu. Thomas, you were once interested in principle
>       but wanted to see this carried further. Haven't had a chance
>       yet, but maybe it's enough to consider anyway.

Still interested.  But your web page just says "no"...

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.markmsg.2
>       Binding to define a macro dynamically that jumps to the current
>       message -- the intention is to emulate vi's mark(m) and return(')
>       operations. This isn't so high on my priority list, but I know
>       others use it.

Interesting.  I'd like to hear some opinions on this one.

> http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mutt/patch-1.5.6.dgc.xlabel_ext.6
>       It's been a few years since I tried to get this one in. :)
>       think of labels as headers. (It's just an implementation detail,
>       separate from the logical abstraction.)

I'd rather leave that one out for now.

> http://www.schrab.com/aaron/mutt/patch-1.5.1.ats.date_conditional.1
>       Allows date formats to vary based on recentness.

Documentation?

> http://cedricduval.free.fr/mutt/patches/#threads
>       Joining and breaking threads.

I think I'd like to defer this one for 1.5.8.  Please ping if you
don't see it included well before Feb 11.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.