Re: Mutt Next Generation

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:32:25PM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Personally, I don't think mutt should include either an NNTP or an
> SMTP client (but maybe I'm old-fashioned).

I can see the argument against SMTP.

I personally never use Usenet, but to me, NNTP and e-mail seem like
(from the perspective of the user) exactly the same thing, so I see no
reason why mutt shouldn't do both.  Both involve the sending and
receiving of messages, and the nature and construction of those
messages are essentially identical.  The only difference is on the
back end, which is not at all of concern to the user.  What is of
concern is having a uniform interface to those things which are done
the same way.  I think mutt needs NNTP support.

> And I'm skeptic about header-caching maildirs.

What is the nature of your skepticism?  the performance enhancement is
substantial, and there has been no complaint of a down side that I've
seen...  What's to be skeptical of?

And, FWIW, I think mutt needs my pgp-auto-decode patch also.  :)

-=-=-=-=-