Re: Mutt Next Generation

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:34:34PM -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:32:25PM +0100, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> > And I'm skeptic about header-caching maildirs.
>
> What is the nature of your skepticism?  the performance enhancement is
> substantial, and there has been no complaint of a down side that I've
> seen...  What's to be skeptical of?

Speaking as someone who uses Maildir on one of my mail machines
and reads large Maildirs in mutt on a frequent basis, this is very
important to me.

The header-caching patch speeds things up a lot, and the early
instability seems resolved AFAICT. I don't personally care whether
it's integrated into mutt, but that would make things easier... I
imagine IMAP users feel the same way. Try reading a large mailbox
over IMAP via mutt and then via Pine - Pine /feels/ a lot snappier,
especially when re-opening the mailbox. Given that mutt's target
audience probably has a lot of people who recieve a LOT of email,
the ability to open large mailboxes quickly seems like it would be
important.

Anyway, just my $0.04.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."