Re: bug#1876: mutt-1.5.6i: Mutt doesn't handle invalid characters when replying to a mail

 On Thursday, October 14, 2004 at 5:33:05 PM +0200, Vincent Lefèvre wrote:

    [match any unknown charset]
> On 2004-10-14 09:38:07 +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>> The first day some new version of official charset appears
> aliasing any unknown charset to us-ascii will mask any non-ascii
> character and prevent Mutt from doing incorrect things

    I see: First, this is good for austeres. And second, workarounders
could well set the very same generic us-ascii alias, while setting more
comfortable specific charset-hooks. Both camps could then wait the "new
unknown" being assured that they will notice it, and that Mutt will not
behave incorrectly. Yes... This seems desirable.

    This of course needs carefull precedence design. BTW how to deal
with charset-hooks aliasing a known to an unknown? Say example
"CH ^iso-8859-1$ blob"? Would it mean "I do want pass-thru", or...
Probably yes: Pass-thru. Anything else being already doable.

> without these hooks, Mutt should never propagate incorrect sequences,
> such as iso-8859-1 characters in utf-8 text.

    The current default pass-thru behaviour must stay possible: It can
be usefull in some situations.

> adding a hook requires to restart Mutt to reread the .muttrc file.

    No.

    [controls]
> when replying to a message, it would be a good idea to convert TABs to
> space characters *before* the message is quoted

    This would pervert citation!

Bye!    Alain.
--
Microsoft Outlook Express users concerned about readability: For much
better viewing quotes in your messages, check the little freeware