Re: bug#1876: mutt-1.5.6i: Mutt doesn't handle invalid characters when replying to a mail

 On Saturday, October 2, 2004 at 12:02:39 PM +0200, Vincent Lefèvre wrote:

    [raw headers]
> I don't want any character replacement based on any guess

    OK. You *will* have full ?-masking by setting $strict_mime=no and
default $assumed_charset=us-ascii. Granted, it doesn't work yet.

    Anyone wanting to workaround problems can do it with his own custom
$assumed_charset. And historic Mutt pass-thru behaviour doesn't change
with default $strict_mime=yes. Everybody should be happy.

    I think the historic pass-thru behaviour might be usefull or very
bad, depending on circumstances, and must not stay the only one, as it
is currently in stock Mutt.

> [no guess] except possibly for file attachments, where the charset is
> almost always missing

    Incoming attachments, or local files you attach to send? If the
later, what do you think about the $file_charset feature?

> could even be detected from the contents, e.g. for XML with the XML
> prolog

    Hum... Not generalisable.

    [bytes 80-9F with label Latin-1]
> I added the following code to my script that calls emacs:
>| # Remove invalid characters
>| recode -f "..ucs,ucs.." "$1"

    What's that? Converts locale's UTF-8 to Unicode and back? Appplied
on a file already iconved by Mutt from label Latin-1 to locale's UTF-8?
I'm missing something, or this will just pass-thru the said inv^Wcontrol
characters?

| $ echo -ne "\200" | iconv -f iso-8859-1 | recode -f "..ucs,ucs.." | hex
| C2 80

> Mutt should not propagate invalid sequences.

    They are not invalid. Mutt relies on iconv, who says rightly they
are valid. Perhaps annoying, but valid.

> Now, no-one seems to use them as control sequences, and I don't think
> that such control sequences should be present in mail messages.

    Very right: I *never* saw that in practice.

> And they aren't printable characters, are they?

    All unprintable. You mean that as such, they should be \octalized in
editor, as they already are in pager? Comments anyone?

>> Some may prefer to use Mutt as an efficient MUA, workarounding or
>> even hiding probs as much as possible
> No, Mutt must detect problems, so that it doesn't propagate them.

    Mutt can do that.

> I also don't want Mutt to do non-standard things I haven't asked

    Mutt doesn't do that, if you haven't asked.

Bye!    Alain.
--
« if you believe the iconv library, I've got a bridge to sell you. »