Re: bug#1876: mutt-1.5.6i: Mutt doesn't handle invalid characters when replying to a mail

On 2004-10-03 22:22:38 +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> > with latin-1 characters in the body
>
>     OK: Scenario confirmed. That's the unknown charset case. Mutt does
> pass-thru. But there is a nice workar... Oh, sorry, Vincent: Could you
> please jump to point B? Yes, now.
[...]
>  -B) charset-hook ^x-unknown$ us-ascii

But what if some other people use x-user-defined for instance?
How do I match any unknown charset?

>     An austere problem detector ?-masking everything without need of
> the eat-char recoding. Suitable for most Tetrhex masters. ;-)

Note that if I sent the message in UTF-8, Pine would have probably
replied with UTF-8 sequences in the quoted text and the X-UNKNOWN
charset. So, hooking to us-ascii is the only thing that will work
consistently.

> > Emacs thought that it was a latin-1 file (and it was quite right),
> > so that the body of my reply was encoded in latin-1, though
> > declared as utf-8 by Mutt.
>
>     Mutt by design assumes editor is dumb and reads and writes
> $charset. Smart editor auto-sensing and recoding just confuses
> things, and may as in your example hide during reply typing a real
> upstream problem with downstream bad consequences. I'd advice
> disabling editor's auto-sensing feature when called from Mutt.

Does anyone know how I can disable auto-sensing with Emacs? Even with
emacs -q --no-site-file, I get this feature, and I haven't found how
to disable it in the manual.

>     I believe the current behaviour, controls given converted to editor,
> is done because those controls may well be interpreted by editor. Or
> printed by editor, or masked. Or whatever. After all, an UTF-8 editor
> should deal with UTF-8 chars.
>
>     Arguments?

Or they could be treated by a script that calls the editor. But if this
could easily be configured in Mutt (with several possible choices), this
would be better. Otherwise, Mutt's behavior should be documented, and
examples would be welcome.