Re: bug#1876: mutt-1.5.6i: Mutt doesn't handle invalid characters when replying to a mail

 On Thursday, October 7, 2004 at 12:30:28 PM +0200, Vincent Lefèvre wrote:

    [match any unknown charset]
> Would it be possible to have this implemented?

    Hum... There should not be much difficulties. And this would be good
for completness, and total user control on what Mutt does even with
broken material. Getting rid of one other case of pass-thru. In the past
there were two or three situations where I wished such feature existed.

    But: The first day some new version of official charset appears, be
it UTF-9 or ISO-8859-17, you may prefer to notice it so you can upgrade
iconv, and turn unknown to new one. That argument is not against the
feature, but for it being optional.

    OTOH what real every day problem would it solve? Unknown charsets
are not so numerous, and most cases can be dealt with a pile of hooks.
The day a new label appears, you notice it, and add a charset-hook: A
constraint, but doable. A feature with so little benefit has limited
chances to be accepted.

    [bytes 80-9F with label Latin-1]
    What chars would be masked? U+0080-U+009F only, or all controls? If
the later, some need to be excluded: Which ones? User configurable?

> user would not propagate broken chars in his reply.

    They are not broken, but annoyingly valid.

    BTW I tried three editors: One displays "\200", the next a
replacement dot, and last "~@". All save back original control char.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Slrn 0.9.8.1 is released.