Re: Maildir header cache now supports imap, too

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:55:45AM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:23:26PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > Keeping your mail on an NFS store is almost always a bad idea
> > regardless of locking issues.  If the user has root access to their
> > workstation (which is often the case), then it is usually NOT POSSIBLE
> > to secure the mail store against that user reading anyone's mail.
> > Anyone at all, so long as they have permission to mount the filesystem
> > which it is on.  It also does not matter what permissions are on the
> > directory, nor if the server uses the no_root_squash option or not.
>
> You're thinking of one specific way of doing things;

Yes, I realize this; I stated rather clearly the conditions for which
it is problematical (which you quoted above) and also stated rather
clearly when it wasn't a problem, in a later part of the same message.
In your case, there is no problem.

But the situation I describe is also very common.  I've seen it almost
everywhere I've worked, and I've run into it quite frequently on
sysadmin-type mailing lists as well as mail-related lists.  If you
understand the issues, it's certainly possible to make this work
without being a big risk.  In my experience, many sysadmins don't,
including some very experienced ones...  As such, I felt it was worth
pointing out.

-=-=-=-=-