Re: bug#1660: Repyling with extended charactors in the From:

 On Friday, October 10, 2003 at 11:30:02 AM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> When i try to reply, i expect mutt to at least be able to use the part
> within <> in the From: line.

    You may have a point here. But a correct locale config is better
than a broken one (!). I mean Mutt's mission is perhaps not to
circumvent all and every misconfiguration of the underlying system.
Unless workaround is easy made, fast, cheap, and not adding code bloat
nor side-effects.

    In fact simulating here your config (Latin-1 terminal, no locale
vars at all, $charset=iso-8859-1) with Mutt 1.4 and a stock 1.5.4 (both
-HAVE_WC_FUNCS), I get the correct Ø everywhere: pager, index, prompt,
and "To:" and attribution in reply. There is in Mutt a fallback to
Latin-1 scheme when all three of LANG/LC_CTYPE/LC_ALL are unset. No idea
why this fallback fails for you?

    BTW, I noticed that in a CP-850 terminal (where the stroked O is
coded 0x9D), without locale but with explicit set $charset=cp850, the
enter.c:my_addwch() function displays in prompt the Ø as "\u009d", which
is false Unicode.

> What do you do when that locale does not exist?

    You build new ones with your favorite text editor, localedata source
files, and localedef command.

> I probably want en_CH.ISO-8859-1 ie my mother language is English and
> i'm physically located in Switzerland.

    My advice: First use the en_*.ISO-8859-1 of your country of origin.
Then, later, if you notice some problem you can build a new one. Anyway
for our today problem any *.ISO-8859-1, even implicit, will do.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Software should be written to deal with every conceivable error
        RFC 1122 / Robustness Principle