Re: bug#1660: Repyling with extended charactors in the From:

    [CC and MFT mutt-dev mailing list]

Hello Andrew, thanks for your report.

 On Tuesday, October 7, 2003 at 4:45:43 PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> Package: Mutt=20
> Version: 1.5.4i
>
> I have the following email header:
>
> Subject: Re: [ECOS] Stress testing JFFS2
> From: \330yvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Andrew Lunn <andrew@xxxxxxx>
>
> Note that \330 is actually a Ö. Its a Scandinavian name.
>
> When i try to reply to this, either group or normal reply, mutt always
> gives me a blank To: prompt instead of giving putting the email there
> as it normally does. The extended character is confusing mutt.

    I full quote you because your bug report was not auto-forwarded to
mutt-dev, perhaps due to the mangled =20 package name. Interested people
can look at <URL:http://bugs.guug.de/db/16/1660.html>.

    Let me try a guess: You have an UTF-8 terminal, a correctly set
system locale, the given char is Ø (stroked O), and the 0xD8 byte is raw
in header, unencoded. Right?

    So the problem is not really in Mutt, but in the sender's mail (or
in a too smart filter on rubicon.hasler.ascom.ch). You can either:

 - Urge your Scandinavian friend to set correctly his mailer, encoding
headers to RFC 2047.

 - Apply Takashi Takizawa's JA patch and use its $assumed_charset
feature. Look at <URL:http://www.emaillab.org/mutt/download15.html>.

 - Downgrade your terminal to a Latin-1 one.

    Otherwise, if I guessed wrong, please provide us complete context
informations about your setup: OS, versions, iconv, terminal, charset,
locale, usw... So we can investigate.

Bye!    Alain.