Re: bug#1660: Repyling with extended charactors in the From:

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 01:42:56AM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>     [CC and MFT mutt-dev mailing list]
>
> Hello Andrew, thanks for your report.
>
>  On Tuesday, October 7, 2003 at 4:45:43 PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>
> > Package: Mutt=20
> > Version: 1.5.4i
> >
> > I have the following email header:
> >
> > Subject: Re: [ECOS] Stress testing JFFS2
> > From: \330yvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@xxxxxxxxx>
> > To: Andrew Lunn <andrew@xxxxxxx>
> >
> > Note that \330 is actually a Ö. Its a Scandinavian name.
> >
> > When i try to reply to this, either group or normal reply, mutt always
> > gives me a blank To: prompt instead of giving putting the email there
> > as it normally does. The extended character is confusing mutt.
>
>     I full quote you because your bug report was not auto-forwarded to
> mutt-dev, perhaps due to the mangled =20 package name. Interested people
> can look at <URL:http://bugs.guug.de/db/16/1660.html>.
>

>     Let me try a guess: You have an UTF-8 terminal, a correctly set
> system locale, the given char is Ø (stroked O), and the 0xD8 byte is raw
> in header, unencoded. Right?

The Ø is not raw in the header. Here is the header direct from
/var/mail/lunn.

Subject: Re: [ECOS] Stress testing JFFS2
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind?= Harboe <oyvind.harboe@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Andrew Lunn <andrew@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:18:59 +0200

Is the From: line correctly encoded? I don't know what RFC 2047 says.

>     Otherwise, if I guessed wrong, please provide us complete context
> informations about your setup: OS, versions, iconv, terminal, charset,
> locale, usw... So we can investigate.

Debian-Testing.
iconv (GNU libc) 2.3.2
xterm XFree86 4.2.0(165), or xterm on SunOS 5.5. Both have the same problem.
charset locale etc are standard defaults for Debian. Nothing special.

        Thanks
                Andrew