Re: categories [Was: split display?]

* lee <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [090715 10:25]:
> Catagories would be something I want to create or remove on the fly,
> eventually with sub-categories, and I would put messages into them
> depending on a particular topic, depending on particular senders,
> depending on age, depending on if I need or want to do something with
> the message later. And I think I would (want to) end up seeing a list of
> my categories on the bottom (or top) of the list of new mail or mail that
> hasn't been put into a category yet. When checking my mail, I'd go
> through the new mail and move it into the appropriate category.
Hello,

if set_sort=threads is okay for you, maybe I have a solution:

in my .muttrc I put

color index brightwhite green "~f ---"
folder-hook .maildir/$ 'set sort = threads; exec collapse-all'
bind index < collapse-thread
bind index > collapse-all

Then I created some "categories" in my Inbox; they are just plain mails,
but with the sender edited to "---". Just send you a normal email,
choose it in the index and press 'e' (or some other mapping...). It
should open in your favorite $editor, at the top you'll find you email
address. Change it to '---' and save.
Now sync your mailbox ('$'), so the old mail goes.

Then this new "category" (you gave it a nice Subject:, did you? If not,
just edit again :) ) has a nice green background. To put mails into it,
mark them ('t'), go to your "category" and press, erm, '&' is the
default for link-threads, right?

Now comes the magic: Press '>' (or re-open the maildir), and all threads
are collapsed. Your "category" is closed, the mails inside are hidden,
the index is cleaned up.

To open/close a "category", browse to it and press '<'.

If you are done with that "category", you can mark the whole thread with
'<ESC>t' and move it with a simple  ';C' to some other maildir...