Re: multipart/alternative question

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:31:26AM -0400, Tim Gray wrote:
> On Wed 15, Jul'09 at 10:08 PM -0600, lee wrote:
>> And more general, is there a way to get an indication that a mail does
>> have an attachment or attachments? I would give them a different color
>> in the list; that would prevent me from opening such messages without
>> checking them before.
>
> You could set up a coloring rule using the ~X matching pattern.
> Something like:
>
> color index red default "~X 1-"
>
> should work.

Hm, I was reading the manual, and there's an object "attachment" that
can be used with "color". But I don't understand what that is for:

color attachment brightred black

doesn't do what I thought it might.

> You can also use the %X sequence in your index_format
> definition to display the number of attachments in a message.  However, I
> don't think either of those methods pick up on inline attachments.

Hm, I would expect that attachments are attachments and count as
such ...

  I     1 <no description>      [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 2.0K]
  I     2 ><no description>     [text/plain, quoted, iso-8859-1, 0.7K]
  I     3 ><no description>     [text/html, quoted, iso-8859-1, 1.0K]
  I     4 <no description>      [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.2K]

For that one, %X says the mail has 1 (one) attachment. But apparently
it has 4 attachments, so what's %X for?

>> Other than that, if I get a mail that isn't readable, I delete it. If
>> someone sends me a mail but makes it difficult to read, he obviously
>> doesn't care if I read it or not, so why should I waste my time with
>> it.
>
> Unfortunately I have collaborators whom I must work with who aren't
> particularly email savvy.  I can't just toss their emails.

Perhaps you can help them to fix their MUAs? If you can find out if
what they are doing is compliant with RFCs or not, you could act
accordingly. Unfortunately that's a difficult task, but if they are
compliant, you need to change something on your side.

It's hard to examine the problem without having an example email
... What happens when you notice that you got such a mail and have
mutt display what attachments there are? Can you view the attachments
from there?