split display?

Hi,

is it possible to somehow create a display that is split up in some
way, or is there a way to assign mails to categories and fold these
categories?

What I want to see as overview of my inbox is something like a number
of categories and the number of new messages in each category. I would
like to have the mails automatically sorted into categories by
criteria like "spam score > X" or sender, and I would like to be able
to create new categories and assign messages to them without having to
edit my ~/.muttrc.

This is different from moving the messages into different
folders. Different folders aren't displayed in the message list, and I
don't move messages into another folder unless that folder is their
final storage. It can take quite a while before I decide what that
final storage is going to be, and the list of messages in my inbox
gets longer every day. Having foldable categories in the message list
would make dealing with the mail much easier.

I think you get the idea ... If that isn't possible, it's a feature
request. Hm, hasn't that been requested yet?

Or is there another MUA which can do this and work on maildir?