Re: split display?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 02:01:57PM -0600, lee wrote:
> I would need to know exactly which pattern will show only those
> messages I want to see, and all of them. I don't know such patterns. I
> might have an idea of what I could search for, but it only means that
> I eventually have to spend a lot of time searching and trying to
> figure out search patterns.

So, in other words, you would need to manually mark the message as
belonging to a category.  You would need to take action to associate
the message with a category.  So, what's the problem with just moving
the mail to a category-specific mail folder, exactly?

As far as I can see, what you're trying to accomplish is exactly why
mail clients have the ability to handle mail in multiple mail folders:
When you receive a message that you think belongs in a particular
category, move (or copy!) it into a mail folder associated with that
category.  Better yet, let a filtering program like procmail do it for
you.  You could probably even do something funky like rig up a macro
to change the list of mailboxes to which mutt pays attention to just
those associated with categories, and then rig up a second one to
change them back to "normal" mode.  Mutt has folder hooks and other
interesting mechanisms to make sure that if you want, sent mail can be
saved to the same category-specific folder, etc..  And of course, you
can always manually edit both incoming and outgoing messages, to add
custom headers to them, to make it easier for various programs to
automatically sort them for you, either before or after you've seen
them.

Your requirement to keep mail in your inbox until you've decided what
to do with it is artificial and self-imposed; if you move the mail and
leave it marked new, Mutt will cheerfully remind you that you need to
address it by prompting you to change folder to the next listed
mailbox with new mail in it.  Your insistance on keeping it in your
inbox may very well be getting in your way.  I suspect no mail client
has implemented a scheme like what you describe because the problem is
rather well-solved by multiple mail folders, and what you describe is,
while perhaps interesting, also a lot more complicated, for no clear
benefit of substance.

The one thing you suggested that sounds the most interesting to me is
the idea of having your index view contain all your messages, grouped
by category.  In this case, that would mean displaying all messages in
your mailboxes, grouped by mailbox.  Personally, I don't think I
would want that... but it's an interesting idea.  Unless you kept the
first several folders very empty, you would rarely ever see any mail
except that in the first "category" (i.e. mail folder).  So I still
have doubts that such a feature would be practical or useful, but it's
an interesting idea.

-=-=-=-=-