Re: split display?

* lee on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 02:25:13 -0600
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 07:33:51AM +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> * lee on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 00:31:17 -0600
>>> or is there a way to assign mails to categories and fold these
>>> categories?
>>
>> Have you tried how far you can get with the <limit> command? And
>> possibly a few macros with customized patterns?
>
> No --- I looked it up in the documentation, but I couldn't find much
> about that. It seems that the display of messages can be limited to
> messages matching a pattern. If that is what it does, it's not what
> I'm looking for because I wouldn't be assigning messages to categories
> by patterns (i. e. regexp or string search).

If you already have a given category, how would be saving or
copying the message to a folder more work? Once you're done with
the folder, you move the messages to their final storage.

If on the other hand, you want to create a category on the fly
this would still be some kind of pattern, the selection/folding
criterion, and, as this mail, somehow text based. So what is
better fitted for that than regex plus mutt's advanced message
matching patterns?

> [...]
> in a category and only then move the mails to another maildir for
> final storage or delete them. I would also like to have the mail I'm
> sending automatically assigned to the category (or to a subcategory of
> it) I'm currently working with: As it is now, all mail I sent is
> stored in the sent folder, and I have to go through all that from time
> to time and sort it out and move the sent mail into the correct
> maildir.
>
> It's all about having a better way to organize the mail and make
> handling it much easier. I don't know any MUA that could do that; it's
> outright amazing that they can't. And it's not something that could be
> done with some pattern matching and limiting the display to mail that
> matches a pattern ...
>
>>> What I want to see as overview of my inbox is something like a number
>>> of categories and the number of new messages in each category. I would
>>> like to have the mails automatically sorted into categories by
>>> criteria like "spam score > X" or sender, and I would like to be able
>>> to create new categories and assign messages to them without having to
>>> edit my ~/.muttrc.
>>
>> Not automatically. If I knew the the categories in advance I'd
>> probably use the MDA (procmail etc.) for it.
>
> Yeah, I'm doing that already, like for mailing lists. But I don't want
> to keep editing the .forward file all the time, and that can basically
> only do some pattern matching. That is very useful for a number of
> things, but I'm looking for more than that.
>
>> But with <limit> (bound to "l" by default) and mutt's pattern
>> matching you can do a lot on the fly, e.g. viewing all messages
>> by you is just a matter of typing:
>>
>> l~P
>>
>> View all messages from configured mailing lists:
>>
>> l~L
>>
>> etc.
>
> Ok, since I don't really understand yet what <limit> can do, I'll give
> you an example: I've recently been gathering information about SATA
> controller cards. In the process, I eventually sent mail to
> manufacturers and some computer stores around here and eventually got
> some answers. It might take a year or longer before I actually buy
> such a controller, or I might never buy one. But maybe I'll buy one
> next week. Now I could sort the answers I received and the mails I
> sent into my "basic storage structure" --- they would end up in
> =Com/done somewhere between all the other mails resting there in final
> storage. The oldest mail in that particular storage is from Thu, 14
> Dec 2000 --- an answer from Matrox to a question about one of their
> graphics cards. I also have an answer to a request about something
> else from Tue, 27 Jan 2009. It's still in my inbox because I didn't
> want to move it into a final storage folder where the information
> would become hard to find in a year or two when I might refer to
> it. The answers about SATA controllers are also still in my

Obviously you have to think of a common content to the messages
you're looking for.

<limit> ~C matrox

limits the view to your correspondence with matrox (you might
want to be more precise.

<limit> ~b SATA

limits to messages containing the word SATA in the body (slower)

<limit> ~(~b SATA)

*threads* containing messages with the word SATA in the body

I still think http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#patterns
covers a lot of what you want. Or you have to explain more
clearly in what way your "categories" differ from a limiting
pattern.

Once you're done you can tag those messages with the same pattern
and move them to their final storage.

>> This discussion about Sup on mutt-dev might be worth a look.

Forgot the link: http://marc.info/?t=124685615600001&r=1&w=2

The thread also mentions the X-Label patch:

http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/mutt/#x-label

which might be even nearer to what you want.

But! If you want to search *across* mailboxes (sorry if I didn't
entirely grasp your example) I would use mairix, also mentioned
in above thread.

> Anyway, what is sup? Another MUA?

Yes: http://sup.rubyforge.org/

  Was heißt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]
_F R E E_  _V I D E O S_  http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/
                          http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/index-en.html