Re: definition of signature separator

* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-20-09 17:17]:
> On Tuesday, January 20 at 05:03 PM, quoth Patrick Shanahan:
> >While I have no doubt that you are speaking fact, I have been using
> >mbox (with mutt/procmail/postfix) for > 10 years starting with
> >Mandrake 5.0 and have not experienced mailbox corruption/garbling ever
> >to memory.  BUT, I am Irish  :^)
>
> HEH, well, it's all a question of how often you have lines that begin
> with From in the middle of a line (and how you define "corruption").
>
> What I've found is that either my editor or mutt simply inserts a
> space in front of From lines, and then as part of format-flowed
> display (I think), mutt removes that space.
>
> But, let's do a test:
>
> >From line
>
> Does the previous line have a > in front of it?

yes  :^)

> It didn't when I composed this message (it also didn't have a space in
> front of it either). If it does for you, then technically this message
> has been corrupted.

Then I guess I have probably had a lot of corruption that I didn't
even realize  :^).  But the posts were not broken apart or grabled as
to be unreadable or unusable.

but the ">" was inserted by procmail,

  If there is no Content-Length: field or the -Y option has been
  specified and procmail appends to regular mailfolders, any lines in
  the body of the mes‐ sage that look like postmarks are prepended
  with >' (disarms bogus mailheaders).  The regular expression that is
  used to search for these postmarks is:    \nFrom '

and, in this case should be deamed harmless.

>From a purist standpoint, this is indeed a change (corruption).  But
much less so than mailing list software that mangles the "Reply-To:"
header  :^)  but that is not an mbox problem.

I guess I just do not see a great enough problem to change, but I *am*
getting along in *years*.