Re: definition of signature separator

On Tuesday, January 20 at 05:03 PM, quoth Patrick Shanahan:
* Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [01-20-09 16:53]:

In any case: DON'T USE MBOX! It's a lousy format for general-purpose email. The right mbox flavor can be good for read-only archives, but that's about it.

While I have no doubt that you are speaking fact, I have been using
mbox (with mutt/procmail/postfix) for > 10 years starting with
Mandrake 5.0 and have not experienced mailbox corruption/garbling ever
to memory.  BUT, I am Irish  :^)

HEH, well, it's all a question of how often you have lines that begin with From in the middle of a line (and how you define "corruption").

What I've found is that either my editor or mutt simply inserts a space in front of From lines, and then as part of format-flowed display (I think), mutt removes that space.

But, let's do a test:

From line

Does the previous line have a > in front of it? It didn't when I composed this message (it also didn't have a space in front of it either). If it does for you, then technically this message has been corrupted.

~Kyle
--
Frankly, I'm suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue.
                                                        -- Scott Adams