Re: definition of signature separator

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:45:59PM +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Mutt separates correctly the text and my signature (from the file
> ~/.elm/signature) in the body by inserting the '-- \n' line;

Mutt does does indeed do that, but it's syntax hilighting won't work for
format-flowed messages, or for "badly-formatted" signatures containing a
blank line or a line beginning with a 'From' that has had a '>'
prepended after the fact.  ;-)

> I'm asking me, where this definition of '-- \n' in Internet comes
> from?  Any RFC or other pointer?

It's what's generally referred to in email RFCs as a "usenet signature
convention".

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/software/good-netkeeping-seal/

http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/outerspace/netnews/son-of-1036.html

Usenet predates the popularity of current forms of internet
communication, so the term "usenet convention" is bound to invite blank
stares, even from the millions of AOL subscribers that started typing
"Me too!" in 1993.

--
George