Re: New mail doesn't show up till I send mail

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 11:34:12PM +0100, Thomas B. wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 01:58:30PM -0800, John Velman wrote:
> > I copied my .procmailrc, my .fetchmailrc, and my .muttrc pretty much intact
> > >from my old Linux box to my (leopard) mac.  I set up postfix pretty much
> > like on my old linux box (slackware). (By the way, mutt compiled out of the
> > box on leopard -- no need for Fink or Macports.)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Same kind of thing happened today.  No new mail.  After sending a test
> > message from plain mail, the new mail showed up.
> >
> > I'd be happy if someone could point me where to look!
>
> I would guess that it's a Postfix configuration problem: Sounds like the
> mail from fetchmail gets stuck in some queue, which is only flushed when
> you manually kick Postfix by sending some mail.

This sounds right.  Now to find out where.  At least its a start.

> Is fetchmail configured to deliver mail through Postfix? Is Postfix
> running as a daemon?

I think so.  After the initial kick, mail (such as yours) seems to come in
with no further incentive.

(Or -  maybe postfix runs at intervals.  I thought I fixed that in
master.cf, but I'd better double check.)

Thanks!