New mail doesn't show up till I send mail

This my be entirely superstitious learning, but it seems like strange
behavior.

I'm new to Mac OS X.  Have used Mutt on Linux for quite a few years.

I copied my .procmailrc, my .fetchmailrc, and my .muttrc pretty much intact
from my old Linux box to my (leopard) mac.  I set up postfix pretty much
like on my old linux box (slackware). (By the way, mutt compiled out of the
box on leopard -- no need for Fink or Macports.)

I have a single machine, single user site connected by dhcp.

Everything pretty much works.  I finished setting things up on Dec. 28.
Didn't turn on the machine again till sometime on the 31st.

Strangely, I had no new messages since Dec 28.

After checking that fetchmail was running, and looking at the /var/mail que
with plain old mail, I sent a couple of test messages using plain old mail.

voila!  Suddenly mail appeard in the Mutt screen.

Same kind of thing happened today.  No new mail.  After sending a test
message from plain mail, the new mail showed up.

I'd be happy if someone could point me where to look!

Thanks!

John Velman