Re: Really strange 'new messages' problem

On 10Dec2007 09:36, Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 04:22:09PM -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
| > Is it possible that there's some sort of locking issue, where those
| > messages are being held in the mail queue and after mutt cleans the
| > lock your MTA is suddenly delivering them all?
| >
| That's certainly what the symptoms look like but the mail is being
| delivered to the same place, my home directory lives on a file server
| somewhere and is mounted by both the FreeBSD system and the Linux
| system.  The MTA is, presumably, running on yet another system
| somewhere I would guess.
|
| Strangely I didn't get the same symptom just now and there were 80 or
| more messages in the fedora mailbox.  Maybe it's just something that
| was happening during the changeover.

NFS directory content caching? It can introduce delays in seeing changes
performed from another server. Since this caching is local to the NFS
client, a change of local client from BSD to Linux may change its
behaviour.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The Force. It surrounds us; It enfolds us; It gets us dates on Saturday
Nights. - Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight and Party Animal.