Re: Really strange 'new messages' problem

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 04:22:09PM -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Sunday, December  9 at 04:50 PM, quoth Chris G:
> >I have just had the shell account where I read my mail moved from a
> >FreeBSD system to a Linux one.  I was using mutt 1.5.16 on the FreeBSD
> >system, I'm using 1.5.17 on the Linux system.  I have the same home
> >directory on both systems so my muttrc file is unchanged (except for
> >removing sentmail from the mailboxes line).
> >
> >I'm getting an odd effect when I log in to read new mail, the busier
> >mailing lists' mail appears in two chunks.  I.e. I see new mail in the
> >fedora mailing list mailbox, I open it and read, say, 20 messages.  I
> >then go to the next mailing list (possibly mutt) read messages there
> >and then, immediately afterwards the next new messages are 50 or so in
> >the fedora mailbox again.  There's no way they're really new or have
> >arrived since the first lot.  This wasn't happening in the FreeBSD
> >environment, does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?
>
> Is it possible that there's some sort of locking issue, where those
> messages are being held in the mail queue and after mutt cleans the
> lock your MTA is suddenly delivering them all?

That's certainly what the symptoms look like but the mail is being
delivered to the same place, my home directory lives on a file server
somewhere and is mounted by both the FreeBSD system and the Linux
system.  The MTA is, presumably, running on yet another system
somewhere I would guess.

Strangely I didn't get the same symptom just now and there were 80 or
more messages in the fedora mailbox.  Maybe it's just something that
was happening during the changeover.

--
Chris Green