Re: Mixmaster

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:51:44PM +0100, Francesco Ciattaglia wrote:
> * Brian Salter-Duke <b_duke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06.12.07 21:31]:
> > Is anyone using the mixmaster support in mutt? I ask merely because I
> > was involved in improving this about 7 years ago, and I'm curious. I have
> > no intention of ever using it again. The support is for a very old
> > version of Mixmaster and not for the more recent version 3 betas.
> >
> > Should Mixmaster support be kept? It is unlikely to carry on working
> > even with the old mixmaster code (version 2.4 beta 46 from September
> > 2002), and that code may soon be not available.
> >
> > Brian.
> * Ci? letto, correndo gioved? 06 dicembre 2007, alle 21 e 38 rispondo cos?:
>
> Last Mixmaster changes are dated 2007 september, see:
> http://svn.noreply.org/svn/mixmaster/trunk/Mix/HISTORY

Yes, but none of those versions (2.9 & 3.0) are supported as far as I
know by thye current mutt code. About 7 years ago I looked at getting
mutt to support the 2.9 version 3 betas and decided it was a really big
job and beyond me. I have no intention of coming back to this. Are you
going to do it?

> I would like to use mixmaster support, yes.
>
> I wrote also a complete reference guide* for using mixmaster with Mutt,
> but it's kept in stand-by, because of incompatibility between
> recent versions of Mutt and Mixmaster.

Why not put it on the wiki? It might encourage people to remove the
incompatability. I added a small change to update the manual to mutt.dev
yesterday.

> It's an ideal argument for a flame war... anonimity: good or bad?

Indeed and I do not want to go there. It is now not for me, so I am not
going to touch the code. I have raised this, as I have said, just out of
curiousity since I was active with mutt and mixmaster 7 years ago.

> IMHO it's good in some situations.
>
> In the country where I live, others are the instruments to protect
> yourself from abuse, crimes, ecc.. So I like Mixmaster as matter of
> study, in some sense.
>
> In other countries, perhaps, anonimity could be matter of life.
>
> * in italian and as a part of "Il Nirvana con Mutt" (see website in sig).
>
> ciao Ataualpa aka Francesco Ciattaglia.
>
> --
>
> - Linux is better: Open & Free! || www.ataualpa.altervista.org

Brian.

--
If a thing's worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
                                               -- G.K. Chesterton