Re: Is SMTP with no authentication possible?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 10:14:26AM -0500, David Champion wrote:

> I use this:
>
> smtp_url="smtp://localhost/"
>

> (I run sendmail locally.  I could use local submission via $sendmail,
> but I use the built-in SMTP code to exercise the code.)
>
> I also have certain send2-hooks which replace that with another SMTP
> server.  You can replace localhost with your smtp server name, and
> submit without authn.

In the end my build of mutt with SASL and the following in muttrc
seem to work:-
    set smtp_pass='xxxxxxxxxxx'
    set smtp_url='smtp://cgreen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

No smtp_authenticators setting seems to get it to work.

It still seems a bit odd that you have to compile it with SASL in
order to get mutt to work with an SMTP server that doesn't require
authentication.

--
Chris Green