Is SMTP with no authentication possible?

I have looked back in the list archives and others seem to have had
this problem but I see no resolution.

I am using mutt on a corporate network where both I and the SMTP
server are behind a firewall.  Thus there is no authentication for
the SMTP server (you may or may not agree with this but it's the way
it is, I can't change it).

Is there no way to tell mutt that no sort of authentication is
required?

Alternatively I could use an external authenticated SMTP server but
then (presumably) I need to build mutt with SASL and some other bits,
can someone clarify what exactly is required please.  This is on a bog
standard Fedora 7 system, I do have root access and have (obviously!)
already built mutt 1.5.16 so another build or two is not beyond me.

--
Chris Green