changing the subject line of a thread

Hi mutts,

The world is full of people with email accounts, who have no idea
how to email; or well, what it's like to get hundreds of messages in
a day and try to stay on top of the information overload.

So someone might reply to a work-related message, asking whether we
should go to the cinema tonight. Usually I just delete such
messages, but in one case, a massively interesting discussion
evolved, and is now 25 messages long. I broke the thread ('#'), but
since I have $strict_threads=off (and need that off because other
correspondents use broken MUAs that don't generate I-R-T headers)
and the subject line is still the same, the cinema thread is still
listed as related to the work thread.

So I wanted to change the subject line on all thread mails. First,
I missed the "pass (Maildir) files of tagged messages to external
command as *arguments*" command in mutt, so I had to create a new
folder and put the files in there, then go to the shell and invoke
sed. An alternative would have of course been to set $editor to the
sed -i command, but I could not get this working. Even setting
editor="sed -i -e '/./d'" just got me "message not modified".

But then, and rather weird, after touching up the Subject: header in
all messages, mutt suddenly fails to verify the GPG signatures (and
still shows the old subject everywhere but in the pager).

So I tracked this down to the header_cache (can I tell mutt to
remake that?) and after I had deleted it, I got what I wanted.

Now my question simply is: is there a better way to change the
subject of messages in a thread, such that mutt is actually aware of
it and I don't have to coerce it to accept the change?

Cheers,

one morning i shot an elephant in my pyjamas.
how he got into my pyjamas i'll never know.
                                                       -- groucho marx

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx