How to navigate to a directory and *then* open the browser?

Is there any way that a macro (or something else) can be used to
navigate to a directory and then open the browser so that one can open
a mailbox there (or navigate further).

I want to separate my mail into two hierarchies, one will be rooted at
'folder' so is where the browser starts by default but the other will
be somewhere else and I want an easy way to get to its root before
opening the browser and navigating.

It would also be useful to be able to 'pop back up' having navigated a
long way down the 'folder' hierarchy, winding back up the .. entries
isn't ideal.

I could use symbolic links (i.e. put a symbolic link to the other
hierarchy in the root of the 'folder' hierarchy) but this then
involves special cases when writing scripts to handle the files in
each of the hierarchies as the whole point of separating the two
hierarchies is to allow me to archive one regularly but not the other
(and other similar things).

--
Chris Green