Re: Escape characters in messages

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 10:25:21AM +0200, Nicolas wrote:

> But the same problem appears in another mail from the same people, when
> the mail contents isn't in an attachment and when there's this flag in
> the header :
>
> I know the mails come from a Windows box. Could that be a problem on the
> computer from which the mails come ?

Messages from Windows users are often actually in the Windows-1252
character set even though they are labeled ISO-8859-1.  Windows-1252 is
a superset of ISO-8859-1, and the characters you mention are in that
part of Windows-1252 that is not in ISO-8859-1.

As I stated, how about you try to hit Ctrl-E on the message?  (If the
offending bit is in an attachment, then hit v, then select the
appropriate part of the message, then hit Ctrl-E.)  I hope it will be
obvious where to replace ISO-8859-1 with Windows-1252 in the resulting
prompt.

Kai