Base64 problem.

I have a strange problem that may or may not be mutt's fault.  It's
only showing up in mutt so far however...

I have an email message:

  http://www.bludgeon.org/~rayvd/badmsg.txt

That is a multipart/mixed message with a multipart/alternative message
inside of it.  However, the first text portion of the
multipart/alternative portion appears to be improperly labeled as
base64.

When I try and load this message up in mutt I get "Could not copy
message" error and am unable to view any part of it.

The odd thing is this message displays fine in Outlook and Thunderbird
both.

The only way I can get it to show up in mutt is to edit the raw message
and change the first base64 to 8bit (leaving the base64 for the actual
file attachment).

So is this message being generated incorrectly?  Should mutt handle
things differently instead of just bombing out?  Why do Thunderbird and
Outlook both work fine with the message?

Thanks in advance!

Ray

PS: This is with mutt 1.5.15