sending mail hangs

hello :)

I have been using mutt for a little while but I have always been using
it on this freebsd box and everything works fine.

I just tried to get mutt working on a linux box (gentoo), I copied my
.muttrc over to this new box and the only thing that dosn't work is
sending email, it just says 'Sending message...' untill I make it stop
and never says that its sent.

I have been looking around and seen a few email with people that have
the same problem but there dosn't seem to be any solutions on them.

Cheers,

Matty.